Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Review: Remington Shine Therapy Conditioning Straightener



Last week or so I returned a Conair hair straightener because the thing sucked. It ripped my hair, did not straighten, and the heat settings were way too low to straighten my thick wavy hair.

I returned the straightener and picked up the Remington Shine Therapy Conditioning Straightener.
What impressed me about the straightener was the unique additions this model had compared to any other model on the market.

This straighteners ceramic plates are infused in Avocado oils, and conditioners which keep hair from getting damaged during the heating process.

It sounded good, damn good! And if it wasn't, I could simply pack the sucker up and return it for a refund. I figured if this lower end $50.00 model didn't work, I'd take the plunge and buy an expensive Chi iron.

The straightener itself is pretty with a nice sleek shiny baby blue color. The model however does not have a heat setting dial like other models. Instead you lower and higher the heat settings by pressing the buttons that are located directly on the straightener.

At home when I went to use it, I was impressed with how easily it glided through my hair.

It did manage to straighten my hair to a pin straight finish, but it took a bit more time than my old broken model did. I used to use a Hollywood 5 Star straightener that worked like a charm.

This model though seems to take a bit more time, and I know it is because the clamping is not very tight. I have very thick hair, and in order for me to quickly straighten it, the clamp strength on the iron has to be a tight hold.

The Remington, no matter how hard you clamp it to your hair, fails to give a strong tight hold.

Another issue I had with the model was the button placement. The buttons are located closely to the stick area where you hold it. I kept accidentally hitting the higher heat setting. Although I personally use the highest setting, and this was not an issue for me, those of you who use lower settings will continuously be hitting the higher setting button!

With that issue aside though the Remington Shine Therapy Conditioning Straightener works like a pro. It managed to straighten my thick wavy hair to a pin straight sleek finish, and that was what I wanted it to do. Although I have used better straighteners in the past, this one is not so bad considering the price.

As far as adding shine though, I can't say it did, because my hair is always very shiny after I straighten it. It looked no shinier than usual.

Overall though, for $50.00 it is a good buy. It does have quirks, but it works quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment