Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review of Estee Lauder, High Gloss in Berry

Whenever I purchase anything from Estee Lauder, I wait for when they are having their pre-sale specials. Pre-sales basically add a ton of free samples and sometimes even full sized freebies, just for purchasing

something. My $75.00 purchase during the last pre-sale included a grab bag full of a bunch of free items, and included in the batch of gifts was Estee Lauder, High Gloss in Berry.

Now I am a huge fan of Estee Lauder's Pure Color Glosses, because they deliver the most stunning sheen and glittery glam as a top coat to my usual lip color, so naturally receiving High Gloss in Berry intrigued me. Would it have the same sheer and moisturizing texture as their Pure Color line, and would this beautiful pink color look as beautiful on my lips, or would it just add shine?

First lets discuss the color.

Berry in the tube looks like a stunning hot pink, with shards of striking flecks of shimmer. It truly looks high gloss, but the thing that worried me was that the gloss would be higher than the color, and the color would be drowned out in the background; if it showed up at all.

On Naked Lips:

Bland.

High Gloss in Berry simply is bland on naked lips. All it did for me was add a ton of shine, which is fine, but I would have liked the color to show up and add a tint, if anything. Unfortunately it didn't.

On Colored Lips:

I decided to swipe on a deep colored pink, and then top it off with Estee Lauder High Gloss in Berry to see if perhaps the pink color would show up any on top of the deeper pink.

This was when the magic occurred.

My lip color was now amplified with a beautiful and striking top coat of shimmer, shine and a lighter new pink hue to the lips. It actually took my original color up a few notches and due to the striking sheer high beam sine, my lips looked better than ever.

The Downside:

The texture.

I couldn't stand it. As lovely as my lips looked, the entire time while wearing this lip gloss, I could feel it. Its heavy, slick, and as it dries a bit, it starts to feel a little tacky and gross.

Overall:

I was glad to have received this one as part of my pre-sale purchase, but thankful did not actually purchase this one, as it does nothing for naked lips, and feels like a gross thick texture on top of lipstick when used as a topcoat. It's unfortunate because it does look nice on top of lip color, but the texture that it leaves behind it not worth the price Estee Lauder has this one marked at. It's more of an acceptable low quality $2.99 brand, than a $16.00 high end brand like Estee Lauder.

No comments:

Post a Comment