Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Revlon Frost & Glow, Platinum Highlighting for Light to Dark Blonde Hair

I have, over the past few months been attempting to lighten my hair. This past fall my hair was black, pitch black. I began to lighten it at hopes to getting my platinum blond color back before warmer weather hits.

However no matter what I have tried, the color never seems to really lighten up that much.

The kits that did work would only lighten the newly grown hair near my scalp, leaving the lower section darker than the hair nearest my scalp. Over time though, and I believe 4 dye kits later, my hair was finally a lighter color, but still not as light as I wanted. I figured adding in some really light blond highlights with a highlighting kit would allow the hair to look lighter as a whole, without bleaching my hair all of the way, because as I know from past experience, you shouldn't just go from black to blond overnight, as it is a real nasty process on the health of the hair.

While browsing around my local Rite Aid, something new stuck out by Frost & Glow. I had used Frost & Glow in the past, and loved the results, but I hated how harsh the chemicals were on my hair, and the stench of the blue mix would leave me in tears. Not only that my hair would be very dry afterward and required expensive products and lots of time, to bring it back to its natural healthy state.

The shade I spotted was different because it came in a blue box, where normally Frost & Glow comes in yellow or golden colored boxes. This one was called Revlon Frost & Glow, Platinum Highlighting for Light to Dark Blonde Hair. Although it stated it was for those with blonde hair to begin with, I figured who cares, and I went ahead and used it knowing it would work likely just as well, if not better due to it being the lightest shade available.

In The Box:

Nothing has changed as far as the inside contents go. You have your mixing stick, which is also used as the hair pick. You have your dye cap, a plastic bag to go over your head when you are done highlighting, you have your mixes, and your gloves. It also comes with small packets of shampoo and conditioner to use afterward.

My Use:

You really need someone to help you with picking hair through the dye cap. This cap has small holes placed in it where you enter using the pick to pull out strands of hair.


You have to be very careful though because if you rip the cap while yanking hair out of the holes, you could end up screwing up your whole dye job if dye gets into that hole or crack, so be careful and have
patience.

You will not be able to reach the back holes so ask someone to help you, preferably someone who knows the proper way to pick hair through the cap holes.

Once your hair is through you then can begin applying the highlighting cream. I place it all over slowly and neatly, making sure I do not rub the cream in too much as it can seep through holes. Literally you want to just paint the loose strands, and move them up toward the top of your head in a neat ball.

After you have the cream all over your hair, you can then just place the included bag onto your head, which will retain heat allowing for faster coloring.

Do not get paranoid if your hair feels hot when you take the bag off. This is normal. I know when it first happened to me though I got scared.

Results?

It took about 10 minutes for me to begin to notice any lightening going on. I worried though because the hair closer to my head was lighter than the lower strands.

However once I got into the shower, about 20 minutes after allowing the highlighting cream to do its work, I was surprised at how pretty the color looked. Once I dried and styled my hair, I was able to notice the difference. The hair closest to my scalp was lighter though, but the hair lower down my back did get color as well, just not as dark, a more honey blonde, but it looked nice, it had dimension, and newly added depth thanks to the highlighting kit.

What I especially loved was that it did not leave my darker hair with shades of orange like previous highlighting kits had. Honey blonde, was honey blonde, with no red tints, or orange highlights.

Overall:

Revlon Frost & Glow, Platinum Highlighting for Light to Dark Blonde Hair is some good stuff, and yes, you can use it on darker brown hair, and lighter brown hair for spectacular results as well. I am going out to buy another one of these to add even more highlights.

3 comments:

  1. It would have been nice to see some pictures of your end results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this product ..works so good ...love love love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am re-vamping this whole blog and will add photos as I move ahead. With my recent site closing down, I have been working on pasting reviews here.... thanks though for coming to support my blog :)

    ReplyDelete