Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Is PureVia Really as Good as Sugar?


-My post also on AC
A few months ago I was sent a box of PureVia by Viewpoints. In return for the free product all they wanted me to do was try it, and give back an honest opinion in the form of a review.

Primarily when I drink coffee, I use regular sugar, or just one packet of Splenda. I was excited to try PureVia, because it is supposed to taste just as good as regular sugar. No after taste, and healthier for you considering that it contains no calories.

The downside however is that each packet contains 2 carbohydrates, so if you use more than 1 packet, the carbs could easily add up, and fast.

PureVia is also all natural, and comes in unique elongated packets which I really liked because they are easier to take along with me.

As far as being as good as sugar, I have to highly disagree. Although PureVia is not a terrible substitute, it definitely is no replacement to sugar. One packet of PureVia is pretty weak in my usual cup of coffee.

When I use Splenda in my cup of coffee, one packet is way more than enough. PureVia though could use a kick as far as sweetening goes.

PureVia also has a slight aftertaste, it is not a bad aftertaste, but it is one that needs to be noted. It's slightly bitter, but not bad. Splenda has an aftertaste that is a little stronger, so PureVia beats it in the aftertaste department. Sugar has no aftertaste, so PureVia loses to sugar.

Overall:

PureVia is a nice addition to the world of sugar substitutes. It contains 2 carbs per packet, and is slightly weak as far as a sweetener goes, but it is a decent addition, and it is all natural.

I definitely will not use PureVia in replacement of sugar which works much better as far as a sweetener for my coffee goes. I also would not use PureVia in replace of Splenda which has a much higher frequency of flavor when it comes to sweetening my coffee.

PureVia would be good however for those who use Splenda regularly but do not like the negative effects that can be caused by Splenda.



No comments:

Post a Comment