Friday, April 17, 2009

Diva Book Review: Freak Show, by James St. James

To be honest I checked out the book Freak Show based on the cutie patootie cover.

The pink book jacket screamed 'fabulous', and the odd bizarre statue of the red headed boy dressed in some sort of pageant queen green outfit, dawning a tiara on his head told me that this book was going to be interesting.

I had no clue what it would be about, but after reading the books jacket, I was pretty excited to discover that I would be reading about a drag queen for the next weeks or so. (I read fast)

The name of the book, Freak Show also called out to me. I considered myself an outsider in high school. A freak if you will.

I figured that even though this book focused mainly on a young boy who liked to dress up in drag, and there would be references to gay sexuality... I too may be able to connect with the character. I was surprised, because I was able to connect.

Anyhow...

Freak Show, by James St Jameswas pure genius, glorious, glamorous, fabulous, sad, wonderful, beautiful, and so vivid that I can't not recommend it.

The main character in Freak Show is a young man named Billy Bloom.

He just moved to Florida to live with his father, and the new school Billy is enrolled in is not to thrilled with the new student.

They immediately target him because he is different. Billy however sort of longs for the attention, I mean he showed up to school on his first day dressed a wee bit feminine.

Billy though is a drag queen! A fabulous one at that!

Showing up to school wearing outrageous outfits, Billy made more enemies then he did friends. And he made these enemies fast.

Like any closed nit community Billy the outsider is not welcomed with open arms, not by a long shot, Billy is immediately picked on, beat on, and stomped on, and on a daily basis; just for being different. Just for being himself. I'm sorry; herself!


Billy is eventually beaten on so badly, that he is actually put into a coma.

Once awaken from his coma, many students feel sorry for him, and many of them are now beginning to open up more towards him. Many, but not all. Some of them still hate his guts.

One boy named Flip (who is the schools dream boat) even takes a close liking to him, and feels the need to protect him from the packs of students who disagree with Billy's drag queen lifestyle.


Flip and Billy establish a close relationship, and quickly Billy takes a liking to him.

One problem though, Flip believes he is sincere when he tells Billy that he is not gay and that he does not roll that way. It causes friction in their relationship.


Billy's heart is broken and he decides to take things into his own hands. Why wallow in ones misery?

He puts his mind in full motion and decides that she wants to run for Homecoming Queen. Take that society!

Up against an entire school who feels that being gay is wrong, and dressing like a girl when you are a guy, makes you a freak, Billy has a lot of work to do in order to win the hearts of those who hate him.

I won't ruin the book and tell you if Billy was successful or not, but I will say this; Freak Show was a marvelous read. Glamorous, heartfelt, and humorous all at the same time.

Although I myself am not gay, I was totally 100% able to relate to the main character in his quest to finding acceptance among his peers.

Freak Show ended on a fabulous note, and had me yearning for more. James St James impressed me in each and every short chapter written.

Using modern pop references, and sentences that seemed to be threaded together with yarn made of sheer glamor and fun. I adored the book.

I highly recommend Freak Show. Not just to anyone or any group or cliche in particular...I recommend Freak Show to everyone.

You can pick up a copy at Border's, or even check it out at a local library. It's totally worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment