Friday, March 27, 2009

Bed Head Tigi Control Freak Serum


I have always steered away from high priced hair products, unless they happen to be shampoo or conditioner. The reason is because I have learned from past mistakes that even though the advertising promises wondrous things, you usually end up with expensive crud in a fancy bottle.

Something about TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Serum though caused me to once again splurge on high-end hair products. I didn’t feel too bad though, I have had gotten wonderful results from Bed Head conditioners and shampoos. So it was a company I trust.

The bottle came with 90z of serum, and cost me only $8, which for me is still a little high. But it’s a product that even salons recommend. So I felt it was a good deal. The bottle itself is a clear thin see through plastic with a small cone shaped pop up cap. It sort of reminded me of an Elmer’s glue cap. The serum is sort of a mint transparent green with micro speckles inside of it. These micro speckles, (or glitter) is supposedly added to make your hair shine.

After reading the promises on the bottle, I knew I had to try it. The bottle stated:

Frizz Control and Straightener Fights the frizz and stomps the curl. This light, greaseless & humidity resistant formula delivers a straight-up glossy finish.

The directions were simple too; all you have to do is apply evenly to damp hair or dry hair for a straight look, and/or apply to dry hair to get rid of frizz.

I know my hair, and I know that many frizz products have failed it miserably. But for some reason I had high hopes for this one. God only knows why. I should stop having such high hopes for frizz products. None work the way the writing on the bottle promises. EVER!

WHEN USED ON DAMP HAIR

So after a nice shower, I towel dried my hair, I was unsure about how much to put in my hair, as the bottle didn’t give much direction on how much to put in. It just said apply to the desired effect. Whatever that means!? I applied 2 quarter sized amounts, I knew if I added too much I could get some sort of yucky greasy effect forcing me to shower again. I also knew if I didn’t add enough, I might not get any results. So the 2-quarter size amounts seemed well enough.

Sniff sniff… yeah it smells weird. The website says it is pineapple scented. I don’t know who thought that up when they first sniffed it?
To me it smells like granny smith apples mixed with (sure enough) Elmer’s glue (gee just like the cap…hmm the similarities were starting to scare me).

As my hair began to dry, I felt something strange… no… actually it was a feeling I was well aware of, seeing how I have such a large history with crappy hair products.
The feeling was stickiness, not greasy, but sticky, all of the strands of my hair were sticking together creating an almost dread lock look. Not only that it was weighing my hair down, it looked unnatural and heavy… and yeah I looked like Jimmy Hendrix.

My intuition was right. This was another one of them gluey hair frizz relief products. As if we don’t have enough glue like hair products, they go and make one more.

I got back in the shower and washed it out. I could feel a slimy coating washing out of my hair when I began to rinse. It was quite disgusting and not very pleasant. But at least I couldn’t see any traces of glitter all over my body. The speckles are small enough to where you don’t even see them.

WHEN USED ON DRY HAIR

Like most gluey hair products they do make for a good frizz control, even if they do feel terrible. TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Serum does make for a good frizz relief product when you add it to dry hair. However you don’t want to add too much otherwise it will just knot up and weigh down your hair.

I used only a very small dime sized amount into my hand, rub together and then apply to my hair. Yep, it will leave your hands sticky too, but not overly sticky, just enough to send you to the sink to wash up.

OVERALL-

This product does fight the frizz, but it’s nothing special. It’s just like any other cruddy sticky frizz fighting hair product. You also won’t be getting any extra ‘gloss’ added to your hair. As a matter of fact after applying this my hair looks like it has residue in it, and it looks dull, and feels dry! EGAD!
Not only that, the price is way too high, especially when you can find better at Dollar Heaven.

It will not stomp out the curl. If you have curly hair and are expecting this serum to straighten your hair, keep dreaming. Get yourself a straight iron, and then apply this to fight the leftover frizz. You’re still going to have to straighten your hair after using this gunk. So it’s a big waste of time applying it to damp hair. You have to wash it out again anyways… unless you like dreads.

RECOMMENDATION:

Those seeking the dread lock look.

Anyone else… run.

No comments:

Post a Comment