Friday, March 27, 2009

Lush Aromaco Bar


The last thing on earth I like to talk about is armpits. Something about the foul creatures that hide under my arm has never been an open discussion or a topic I cared to talk about.

I sweat, and in the summer time sometimes I sweat to the point where I can feel a bead dribble down my body. It’s nasty, it’s disgusting, and I hate it.

When I came across Aromaco on Lush.com I was immediately interested, and the price did not seem too bad. $6.55 for a 3.5oz ‘bar’.

That’s right; Aromaco is a bar of deodorant. No stick, no spray, nothing, just a solid bar of deodorant.
I wondered why Lush didn’t just put it in a stick to keep things neat and make applying easy. Lush however seems to enjoy making messy products, and there have been a few messy products I have gotten from them, so it was no surprise they had to go and make this deodorant difficult.

I guess I avoided writing this ages ago because, like the deodorant, it just didn’t appeal to me.
However today sitting down in a full-blown Lushie mood, I figured I might as well try and steer as many people away from this arm pit nightmare known as Aromaco.

MY DEODORANT BAR:

Lush’s site promised minimum ingredients for maximum results. A simple and effective patchouli scented deodorant with witch hazel to discourage over sweating and baking soda to absorb moisture.

This description sounded exactly like what I needed. Plus it claimed to discourage over sweating. This was just what I needed for the summer months ahead.

When Aromaco arrived I was surprised at it’s appearance, it reminded me of a hunk of deodorant that got banged up a bit, and misshaped and perhaps even melted a little bit on it’s way. It looked exactly like I had imagined. Messy!
Just imagine taking one of your stick deodorants, throwing it in a sandwich bag tossing it around a bit… now you’ve got Aromaco. It’s not a bar, nor a ball, but a messy slab of art. I guess.

My Aromaco came in a small thin plastic tub like container. I guess Lush knew things would get messy, and they did, even with the protection of the tub. The deodorant itself was a cloudy off white. It almost looked a little dirty.

When I opened the container the smell of patchouli hit me. But it wasn’t just patchouli I smelled, I also noticed that same scent that hits you when you walk into a hospital. It smelled like sickness masked with antibacterial. I didn’t like it, but I also didn’t hate it.

DEODORANT ROCK:

My Aromarock… I mean Aromaco was so hard that I knew if I applied it right then and there I would rip some skin off of my poor sensitive wet pads. The deodorant bar was as hard as a rock. It seemed dried out, or old.

I allowed the deodorant bar to warm up in my hands before rubbing it on to my pits like so many others recommended on the Lush.com site. A nasty cloudy residue was left behind. I wondered if this nasty residue would also stain my shirts.

HOURS LATER:

I was a little nervous about wearing this one to work, so I had to test it on a day off. Usually my days off I am most active.
I had swiped on a decent amount of Aromaco onto my pits (a few chunks landed to the floor) and went about doing my daily things.

A few hours later the scent hit me. It must activate as I become more active and get hot. The smell of patchouli hit me in small waves. It wasn’t horrible, but it also was not a natural scent. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the whole point of Lush to be natural? Guess I’m used to unnatural scents under my pits. Bring on the harmful chemicals baby!

I then felt it. Sweat. So much for Lush’s broken promise. It wasn’t pouring out in buckets, but moisture was still present.

I let it be and went on shopping; there was nothing I could do about it now. Next the scent hit me, this time stronger. My patchouli pits now smelt of all out chicken noodle soup. Ew pre-puberty B.O!
I NEVER STINK! Yes I sweat, but NEVER stink. This was awful, an all out conspiracy! I wondered if people were smelling this God-awful scent and avoiding me?
Eh… that’s okay, I cleared an isle; more room to roam. But man did I stink! I couldn’t even take being around myself.

Next order of business was to go home and take a shower. I learned my lesson, never to use Aromaco again.

I have no idea what made the deodorant suddenly decide to reek like that. It obviously was not meant for me because on the Lush site I read plenty of consumer reviews praising the stuff. So I assumed it would be a good buy. Maybe for someone else, just not for me.

Overall:

Aromaco is a messy natural substitute to your harmful chemical filled deodorants. It has an unappealing scent to begin with; I don’t even know why I applied it.

Avoid this one. Stick to your regular deodorant. I honestly would avoid all of Lush’s deodorant bars after this messy experience.

Me; I’m sticking to my Degree. At least if I sweat a little with it on, I won’t smell like I haven’t taken a bath in months.

-My review is also on epi

No comments:

Post a Comment