Friday, March 27, 2009

Lush: Coalface Soap


I had been waiting to try this facial soap for nearly 2 months now. I didn’t add it in to my last order because the price was a bit high, and I had read not so pleasant reviews about it.

However recently Lush had a promotion going on where if I spent over $10.95 I could have a 3.5oz piece for free.

FREE! Coalface for free!

Of course I jumped right into that deal without even thinking about it, and went into an ordering frenzy. Come to think about it, I should have gotten 3 for free. Dang!

What is Coalface?

It’s a facial cleansing bar meant for people with oily skin and those who are prone to getting acne.

I have oily skin; I get pimples every now and then!!! I need it, yes, me, me, me! Over here, give me mine!

My bar of Coalface came in the usual neatly packed ‘sealed with a kiss’ Lush package. It had a thick layer of clear wrap on it, and underneath that wrap was the clear deli wrap that Lush is known for.
Yeah, I got a double wrap. It was annoying, but I got into it easy enough.

Coalface is cut from the block, so you never know what odd shape you may get. Lately I seem to be getting corner cuts, making the bar a little annoying to cut up into sample sized pieces. I will then end up with sample-sized pieces that look like daggers and crescent moons.

My bar was a black misshaped square, and reminded me of tar. At the end of the soap there were these grayish looking sparkly things. I don’t know if I’d label them glitter or poprocks. It looked like a bad dried out end, and I wanted to cut it off and chuck it.

I of course then began to cut the bar into sample-sized pieces, so I would only use one at a time for the soap dishes in the bathroom.

While I was cutting the soap though, I noticed a very, very slight scent of licorice, but it was licorice with something else that sort of ruined the lovely scent. I smelled sulfur and licorice.
Sulfur smells like farts, not only that I also noticed that same nasty funk smell I had remembered while using Ooh La La. It was pepper.

I was disappointed in the scent. It was pretty horrid, but I was also willing to give it a try. I wouldn’t be showering with it, it was going on my face and that was it. So I didn’t mind the Fart Bar. I have used much worse stinking things on my face before.

The soap was a thick glycerin like soap, and had a thick consistency. It was not overly soft like most of Lush’s soaps are and I knew it would withstand being placed in a soap dish without me having to worry about it melting away.

Wash Up:

It is advised on the Lush site to: Dampen face with warm water, lather up your hands and apply to face using small circular motions, rinse thoroughly and pat dry. For best results follow with LUSH Moisturizer that best suits your skin type.

So that’s what I did. My hands though were turning gray. I got a small lather; it was not luscious or bubbly. I wasn’t expecting it to be either. Most Lush products don’t lather very well at all. It was more like a lotion like lather that reminded me of the Sultana soap.

I then took the gray lather I did get and I began rubbing it all around my face. Soon my whole face was covered with the gray soot colored lather. I could feel some abrasive like grit that was softly exfoliating my skin. It didn’t hurt either, and usually I hate exfoliations.
Just as I began to hold my breath because the stink was getting to me…it got up my nose, and I nearly died. I have never had a facial cleaner burn so bad. I have had soaps get up my nose before, and usually a good blow gets it out without a problem or a teardrop.

Coalface however was a whole new ballgame. The gunk burned, I rinsed my face quickly, and tried my best to blow the soap out of my nose.

Once I felt better though, I could smell the soap farts in my nose for almost an hour after using it.

My skin however felt extremely clean. It did not dry my skin out, or make it tight. It did however make me feel clean. Too clean?

I know that sounds weird, but my face felt so overly cleaned that it sort of felt strange. It didn’t make my skin feel soft; it made it feel like rubber. Where if you run a finger down it, it will make… swwwweeeaaakkk sounds, sort of like rubbing your hand down a wet inner tube.

It wasn’t an uncomfortable feeling; it was just an odd one my face was not used to.

Long Term Use:

I have been using Coalface for almost 5 days now, and already I can see a difference. The pimples I did have when I began using it are now dried up and toast. That’s what I loved most about Coalface; it would dry up the pimples, and not the rest of the skin. Strange I know, but I’m just reporting my results. My skin is usually very oily looking by mid-afternoon or when it is hot out. I was glad to see this old habit has also died. My skin is no longer oily, and I don’t see any new pimples trying to make themselves known.

Where To Buy?

You can obtain one at either a local Lush store, or online at www.Lush.com for $10.95for a 3.5oz bar. Also if you plan on ordering online check www.Naughtycodes.com for any recent Lush promotional codes.

WARNING:


Try to avoid getting this one in your nose, or eyes. It'll burn like hell.

Overall:

Love how it works, but I hate the farty scent, and God forbid you get this gunk up your nose.

Reccomendation:

Yes, Coalface is a keeper in my opinion. I would recommend it to those with oily, or combination oily skin, and those who break out frequently or every now and then.

My review is also seen on epi

No comments:

Post a Comment