Monday, March 30, 2009

Maybelline Shine Free Loose Powder


I've been using Maybelline's Shine Free Loose Powder for almost 2 years now. I have had the original, and also recently just purchased the new and improved version.

Honestly the new version is way better than the old one. Shine control now lasts much longer than the original formula had once done, but regardless, I loved it then, and the love has grown.

I have oily skin. Its meant for me. I've used products promising shine control in the past, from -I swear to you tracing paper pieces that swore oil control, only after purchasing it discovered it was nothing more than what tracing paper blots or a napkin blots couldn't do.

I first picked it up unconvinced, like I am with most beauty products. Most promise this, and swear that, and deliver nothing more than lies on a pretty bottle.

The Maybelline shine control is far from a pretty bottle. I fact its wrapped in plastic, so you can't even test it. Some people may not like that, but I personally do. The thought of someone else using my product before I buy it some how makes it not new, but used, and nasty. To put it short, it just irks me.

I was also a bit sad to see that maybelline had improved it. Usually when beauty products improve something, its made worse. Cheaper. Companies figure they've got the consumer, so they cheapen up the product, and people still buy it. I thought maybelline had done the same thing. Gave it a new look and made the product less effective. However they didn't, so I was very pleased.


Lets get into how it works. It comes with a face blotter. I don't know the technical term for it, but that's what I've been calling it for years. Applicator pad, what have you.

I personally am not fond of these in any way, shape, or form. They hold bacteria which will cause acne, a big no- no for anyone with oily skin to begin with.
You also have to clean them weekly, and wait for them to dry. It never drys right making it a hard round face scraper. If you are to buy this, make sure you buy yourself a big blush brush for application of the shine control powder. It comes out more smoothly, and evenly when you apply using a blush brush. Using the round applicator pad only makes your face look cakey.

The reason I purchase Maybelline's shine control time, and time again, is simply because it delivers just what the bottle states. Shine Control. It's not like the usual garbage where you have to re-apply, and re-apply, if its humid out. You put it on, and it stays on. I'd say for about 9 hours. That's usually when I wipe my face off, I'm sure it'd last longer, but I clean my face too often to know if it lasts past 9 hours.
Its weightless, so you don't feel anything on your face, or any stickiness like some products do. Your face will not shine under the hottest of suns.

I recommend applying it in problem areas, such as the nose, forehead and brow line. I also recommend applying your favorite foundation before applying the loose powder. Then applying blush over the shine control powder. It gives your face a natural glow without looking too "put on".
It will not overpower the color of your foundation at all. Even if you happen to buy the light one by accident. They re both relatively transparent.

The only downfall I'd have to say is how a lot of powder ends up on your table or counter when you close the lid, a lot of unused powder not in the chamber flies up into the air. Also I would like to see it in a darker color. I the summer time I tan too well, and applying even the medium tends to give me a dusty ghost-like hue.

Woman of color should of also been considered before making this available. Everyone suffers from oily skin, not just light and medium tones. So I would love to see a dark shade added to this wonderful line.

No comments:

Post a Comment