Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of Bodycology Coconut Lime Body Bar

Sometimes I buy things just because they look cool. I really have to stop doing that, and look up reviews on the particular product before I just splurge.
When I ran into a body bar by Bodycology it instantly called for me. "Buy me, buy me!" I tried to avoid the call, but I couldn't resist.
The reasoning was because of how the body bar looked, it was a glycerin soap, with a shower sponge fused into it. So on one end of the soap, the sponge stood out for rinsing. It took me back to childhood, when my mom would buy soaps that contained a stupid little toy in it. I could only get the toy if I washed my hands regularly. (A butter knife though seemed to make things move along much faster).
It seemed like a neat idea, a sponge in a soap, but I should have known it wasn't. The soap is glycerin! What was I thinking!?
This bar is also meant to be an exfoliator. However I couldn't see how. The sponge looked like the cheap soft kind you can buy in bucket loads at any dollar store, and the glycerin soap clearly did not contain and particles meant for exfoliation.
I didn't mind though, I'm not too fond of exfoliation on my body anyway. I don't have sensitive skin, it's just that I don't enjoy the feeling of rubbing sand on my skin.
SCENT:
The Coconut Lime Body Bar smelled nice through its clear wrapping. The lovely scent reminded me of Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena. The lime was present, and the coconut scent mixed in evenly. I figured if it smelled good, it probably would make me smell good.
APPEARANCE:
The coconut lime body bar is sealed in a plastic wrap with a photo of a real coconut and limes on the cover. The sponge fused into the bar is a stale yellow, and the soap itself is a vibrant transparent lime green.
USE:
I unwrapped the bar and 'tried' to put it to use. The bar for one is so large and bulky in my hands that I dropped it quite a few times before it even made contact with my skin.
Once I dug into it to form handmade grips I then began to rub the sponge part on my skin. Here is where I discovered the 'exfoliation' if thats what you'd call it. You see, the sponge had soap melted on it, which formed into a hard shell over the sponge. On my skin it scratched and felt horrible. I simply ran it under some hot water to remove this think hard layer, underneath was the soft sponge. 'Oops, I dropped it again!'
Okay... I rubbed the sponge on my skin, and nothing happened. No lather, no nothing. So I squeezed the thing a few times, and finally a thin pathetic lather began to form. As this ritual was going on, I dropped the soap a few more times, and by the 10th time dropping it I noticed something. No...wait...I noticed... nothing! The coconut lime scent was gone! I didn't get it. I have never had a scent disappear while using it. I have had scents become lighter, but not fade into nothing.
After the shower I plopped the bulky soap into the soap dish, and let it sit there. Big mistake! (I'll mention that later)
SKIN:
My skin felt the same after using this bar. It was as if I didn't even apply anything at all. No scent, no hydration. A big nothing. It was as if I had just washed washing with water, and nothing more.
The next day I hopped into the shower, and my Bodycology bar was a big slimy mess. I tried to pick it up but it just oozed down my arms. I spent the next 5 minutes cleaning out my booger like soap dish. Lovely!
OVERALL:
This was by far the nastiest piece of soap I have ever used. Not only did it not contain a scent, but it also turned into a glob of puke like sewage waste. If I could of wrapped it up again I would of returned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment