Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of : Lush the Joy of Jelly

When I first came across Lush's shower jellies I got a feeling it was something I would not like, nor want to try. I knew that this shower jellie would be nearly impossible to hold in my hand, and that I would end up dropping it till it finally melted down the drain.
After reading reviews on the use for shower jellies though, I was more than intrigued, so I ordered the prettiest looking one they had available, The Joy Of Shower Jelly. This bar on the site looked like a psychedelic purple piece of marble. I bought my jelly in a 3.5 ounce piece for $5.45, but you may also purchase a larger hunk-o-jelly for $9.90 for a 7 ounce piece. I wanted the small one though just so I could try it first.
The Joy Of Jelly arrived in a usual brown Lush box from UPS, as usual my box was sealed with special Lush tape reading, 'Sealed With a Kiss'.
When I first unwrapped the jelly I was surprised at how nicely the entire box smelled. It was a typical Lushie type smell, with a whole lot of Jasmine. Not a bad overwhelming scent of jasmine though.
The jelly did look a lot like the one represented on the site, but not as pretty or cut as slickly. It was wobbly, and reminded me a lot like jello gelatin. Not ordinary gelatin, but hard gelatin. The recipe you would make to cut out neat shapes.
I knew exactly how I was going to use my jelly. According to users of this product they place theirs in blenders and whip up a shower gel, and others just squeeze small chunks of it into their bath loofahs. I wanted to try both, so I cut my bar in half, and stuck one half into my blender. I imagined that things would not work out like planned, but I went with it anyway.
I hit high, and let it rip. The shower jelly turned into a darker purple color, and after a few minutes getting ripped at, I had an almost perfect shower jelly. There were some chunky globs in it, but I was okay with that. I then poured it into a plastic container where I would keep it in the shower.
IN THE SHOWER:
I first wanted to test this product by grinding the leftover pieces I had into my loofah before trying out the shower gel I made with the blender. So I cut a small piece off of the block, and stored the rest in the fridge. In the shower I squished my piece into the loofah, and began to rub it all around. The lather worked up was pretty interesting. It had some suds, but not like what I had been expecting. I figured once water hit this thing, it would go all bubbly and create a thick lather. This was not the case though. I then dipped my loofah into the shower gel I made, thinking that perhaps I needed more.
Low and behold, a little more went a long way. I had a nice lather creating suds wherever I ran it across my body. The scent however kicked in double knots as well, it still had a lovely floral scent, but once warm water was thrown into the mix it began to take on a new scent. It wasn't an awful smell, but it did remind me of cheap dollar store perfume. I smelled that scent that Lush has always been famous for according to my standards anyway. I smelled that dried out flowery scent. It reminded me a lot of Elizabeth Taylors rotten perfume 'Passion'. Tolerable, but nothing I enjoy, nor would I buy again after buying it the first time.
I rinsed off, and the scent seriously filled the entire room, and I had a gut feeling that I was going to smell like this stuff for the rest of the day. After drying off, my skin was much softer, and I felt clean. But that dang cheap perfume scent was still very present, in the room, now to be stuck on my towel, and most likely me.
After stepping out of the smelly flower bathroom, I of course noticed the scent following me with every step I took. However as hours went by, the scent hit a subtle low key, and was actually pretty pleasant. My skin also still felt squeaky clean.
Overall:
I liked it, then sort of hated it, then liked it again. So in all I would grade it 3 stars. It does leave your skin feeling soft, the scent is nice; sometimes. I could imagine though how someone would love this one. If you like that jasmine dried out flower scent you may enjoy it. But if flowery scents are not up your alley, than I would avoid it. For me it was tolerable, but not something I would re-purchase.
Other Use:
Lush recommended you freeze shower jelly for a cooler experience. Not only that, they are easier to hold if you plan on using them without a loofah. However there is nothing exciting about rubbing a cold piece of jelly on your skin, even on hot summer days. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Ingredients:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Aloe Vera Gel (Aloe barbadensis), Propylene Glycol, Tiger Lily and Red Rose Petal Extract (Lilliam candidum and Rosa centifolia), Perfume, Iota Carrageenan Extract, Ylang Petals Dried (Cananga odorata), Jasmine Flowers (Jasminum officinale), Synthetic Musk, Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Clary Sage Oil (Salvia sclarea), Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata), *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C Red No. 4, D&C Red No. 33, D&C Red No. 27, FD&C Blue No. 1, Methylparaben, *Occurs in naturally in essential oils
Where to buy The Joy of Jelly, and other shower jellies:
Obviously you can purchase them at the website at www.lush.com, or in any local Lush store. Rumor has it though that Lush products ordered over the Internet are more fresh than ones in stores. However buying them in stores will save you on ridiculous shipping charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment