Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of Castelbel Porto Tomato Soap

I love soaps, and I especially love all natural soaps that use no harsh chemicals or ingredients. While browsing in a local Target I came across something completely new and unique; at least according to my soap buying standards.
It was all natural, all vegetable soap by a company called Castelbel Porto. The soaps were scents I had never seen before which included tomato soap, carrot soap, cucumber soap and many more. I grabbed 3 soaps that caught my eye as the most unique, and seeing how Tomato soap was the first I tried, I figured I would speak of this one first.
After looking online at their site at www.castelbel.com I found that tomato soap was part of the kitchen collection, only on the site they did not mention it. It is available though, at Target. The soaps are $5.49 each, or can be bought in a set of 3 for $12.99. The sets of 3 come with 3 different kitchen soaps, and is the best deal for your money.
Each bar is a whopping 350g of triple milled soap. In easier terms, this bar of soap is big! Too big even, and I wondered how difficult it would be to use it in the shower. The soap itself is the color of a tomato of course, and smells like one, but not quite. I can note something sweet within the soap that does not smell like a tomato at all and this sweet scent throws off the tomato scent. In order to smell that tomato scent you really have to sniff big, and sniff deep, and ahhh.. there it is.
With all of my soaps, I tried cutting the bar, but it was far too hard to get a cut from it, seeing how it was so hard. My only hope was to bring the entire thing into the shower with me, which I find annoying because I knew it would melt much faster.
I brought the large red bar into the shower and began rubbing it all over my wet skin. I dropped the soap a few times, and then a few times more, and then some more. Things got really frigging annoying, up until the soap began to work up a good lather. The lather was sudsy, and a lot more bubbly compared to normal all natural soaps, which made me wonder just how 'natural' it really was. Nowhere on the soap did it mention ingredients, and surprisingly nowhere on their website do they mention it. I began to wonder if this sudsy tomato soap was in fact infused with harsh chemicals. I know natural soap, and most natural soaps don't work up a good lather for diddly squat.
After washing the lather off, I did feel clean, and I did smell pretty good. I liked the scent, so I hoped it would stay with me for awhile, however I had this hunch, it would not.
After drying up, my skin felt somewhat moisturized, but it honestly was nothing to brag about, and nothing a cheap wash couldn't do. The scent also toned down to a halt, I could barely smell it. Within just a few minutes I could not smell it at all.
Overall, I enjoyed the soap, but wondered deeply about just what was in it. I had never come across a company that fails to mention ingredients that are in the soap. Tomato soap was supposed to be all vegetable, and one would think that the lather would be a pinkish color like most natural soaps when they have fruits or vegetables added in. Tomato soaps lather was white, there was nothing colorful about it.
The soaps also are a bit pricey, and too large and bulky for my liking. If they made them in sizes woman could handle things would be a lot easier in the shower. These particular bars are seriously meant for a giants hand, and they are too hard to cut into pieces.
I can't see myself buying any soaps from Castelbel Porto anytime soon. I will use up the 3 that I have now, and most likely never purchase again.

No comments:

Post a Comment