Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of Wet N Wild Eyeliner Pencils

In high school I never wore makeup, but afterward I discovered the world of makeup, from lip liners, to eyeliners, and liquid blush to powdered. However I was new to the whole makeup world, taking my first steps. I didn't know good makeup from bad, or that cheap makeup at times is actually bad for your skin. I didn't know, I had no idea! I went on Walmart makeup shopping sprees and would come home with a $100 bag filled with all sorts of goodies.
One piece of makeup though that was always on my 'must have' list at the time was Wet n' Wild Charcoal eyeliner pencil. It was black, came pre-sharpened, and had a clear plastic protective case over the sharpened tip. These eyeliner pencils only cost 99 cents, how could you beat that?!
They seemed to work well enough, but I really never used anything else to compare it to. I would pop the plastic top, and apply the eyeliner, as always the overly sharpened tip was too sharp or thin and would end up breaking the moment it made contact to my lid. So I would sharpen it, and try again.
Sometimes this would also be a pain in the rear, because the eyeliner itself was not moisturizing enough and wouldn't stick to the pencils walls, causing it to literately fall out. There were even times where I would have to sharpen it over and over again till it was half gone before it would sharpen correctly and not break off while applying. I thought it perhaps had something to do with my sharpener, so I bought a new one. Still the problem arose, it wasn't the sharpener, it was the liner.
I would apply a lot, so my eyes stood out more, I loved it when I was finally able to get it on. However as the day wore thin so did the eyeliner, and I found myself constantly having to do touch ups. The eyeliner would bleed to the top of my lid creating another line. It wasn't attractive, so throughout the day I was constantly poking about my eyes fixing smudges, and bleeds. It was annoying, but when it was on just right, it looked fantastic! Nothing could be better right? Wrong.
As I grew older so did my taste in makeup, I came across a click up eyeliner stick from Revlon. I had known of this company and used them before, but I never touched their eyeliner simply because I figured it was way over priced, and it would work just as good as my Wet n' Wild pencil. I spent the $7.00 anyways, and have forever been a fan. I had not realized how awful my Wet n' Wild eyeliner was until I used something a little more costly. Even Revlon's pencils glide on easier, without cracking, and breaks.
Wet n' Wild pencils would only last me about a week because they constantly broke, and so did the protective clear casing. Wet n' Wild eyeliner pencils also dry out quickly and feel really abrasive while trying to apply to the eye lid. At times the pencils would even leave crumbly specks behind on my eye lid. I used to just pick them off, but who knew that there were actual eyeliners available that actually glide on easily all the time, never dry out, and never bleed?
I guess these cheap Wet n' Wild eyeliner pencils are what a teenager would buy, not knowing any better. They still sell them in the bucket loads in local drug stores and of course, at Walmart. However I figured if I spread the word, that these eyeliner pencils are by far the worst of the bunch, people would be less likely to purchase them. Trust me for a few more dollars you'll get more from your eyeliner, with less of the hassle.
Years had passed, and while in my local Walmart I figured I would give Wet n' Wild another chance. Besides the design of the pencil looked a bit different, more modern, and perhaps maybe they changed the formula. Plus my usual Revlon brand was sold out, so I was only giving it another chance because I had not much of a choice. Black seems to be the color that sells out fast.
At home I applied the eyeliner, and sure enough the liner was much smoother than I had remembered, perhaps even a little too smooth. Great, it broke. Not because it was dry this time, but because it was overly moist. So Wet n' Wild was heading in the right direction, however over did it. Back to the drawing board.
I sharpened the pencil again, but the liner was so soft it was actually bending and creating clumps as I tried to apply it. Again it broke, and smudged up my eye. Figures. I then found myself doing what I remembered doing years ago. Sharpening the pencil till there was nearly nothing left. Another one bites the dust.
Overall Recommendation:
Avoid this cheap high school girls garbage. You will be replacing this pencil almost twice a week because of how often it needs sharpening. Go buy a more expensive eyeliner, it lasts longer, applies much easier, and looks a lot nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment