Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of LUSH - Gratuitous Violets Soap

"Pheewwiie, Melissa, you smell like an old dying lady today!" That came from my cousin. I wanted to cry. I thought I smelled all right. I had just washed up using my favorite brand of soap; Lush. I had spent a lot of money on that damn bar of soap. And now I'm being told I smell like an old fart. Great! Just great! I wonder if Lush will give me a refund on this embarrassing scent soap.
"What the heck did you put on? Woof!" She continues.
"Well, I ordered this soap from Lush because they promised that I would smell like... like...gorgeous and creamy violets." I say.
"You smell like a vase of rotting flowers, thats old lady perfume, come on you're lying!" "No, really it's called Gratuitous Violets, on the site its gorgeous, and I bought it for $7.25 for a 3.5oz bar."
She then begins to laugh, "You spent almost 8 bucks on that garbage, ha hahahaha..." "Actually after shipping costs, it came to about $19... tee-hee" (Blushing)
Thats when I knew that not all soaps Lush makes has a good scent, just because it's a powerful scent. I sort of knew I smelled like an old woman when I began using it, but I figured I was just being too judgmental, and the scent would lighten up a bit after drying off. The soap itself was very, very soft, and I would compare it to a piece of sculpting clay, or an eraser. I could bend it easily, and if I bent too much it would break. I took my bar and cut it into slices, and saved the rest in a cool dry place.
In the shower the Gratuitous Violets barely made lather, none of Lush soaps make for a good lather though. The soap itself is a creamy soap, and is a actually a lovely creamy lavender colored bar, and instead of lathering actually made a creamy lotion like lather on my skin. This color is mainly what made me purchase it. Aside from the color, when the soap hit warm water I could smell the old lady perfume like scent, and it also seemed like they tried to rejuvenate the old woman scent by throwing in some baby powder, because thats what I was smelling. Old lady perfume covered up with some baby powder. The soap that thinks it has found the fountain of youth.
After using the soap I rinsed off, and it didn't leave any residue behind, not did it dry my skin out, so I was happy about that. There are quite a few Lush soaps that will leave your skin feeling parched. This soap however was nice in the aspects that my skin felt nice and clean afterward, and I could still detect a slight hint of flowers. I thought it smelled okay, besides it was light enough as to where only I could smell it. So I thought.
I continued using it daily, up until I met with her; my cousin! That day I learned my soap made me smell like I was 70. After she aid it, the scent seemed to really take over. I could smell the scent she was explaining, maybe it was a mental thing, but suddenly I felt like I was enveloped in a vase of dried out flowers, I smelled...old! Ancient even!
Even though it leaves my skin feeling nice, I have no urges to ever purchase this one again. I will let everyone else buy it up, or wait for Lush to discontinue it and replace it with a more modern scent. Ech!
WHERE TO BUY IT?
If you are still interested in smelling like an old mama, you can buy this cut off the block handmade soap at any local Lush store, or online at www.Lush.com. You can request (God only knows why you would though) a larger cut. It will cost more, but you will get more. Online you are limited to a 3.5 ounce cut. Like I said earlier the soap will run you $7.25
RECOMMENDATION:
Now even though the soap is a scent that I can't see many enjoying, it did make my skin feel much softer after long term use. However after being told I smelled like I was on my way to the grave, I had to quit using it. Someone may like this smell though and reap the benefits of how it makes your skin feel. To each his own. Just remember, people around you...the ones who will be ready to tell you that you stink like an old lady...if you can handle the ridicule, go for it!
HOW TO MAKE OLD LADY SOAP:
Sweet Violet Leaf Infusion (Viola Odorata), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Perfume, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Cananga Oil (Cananga odorata), Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata), Cedarwood Oil (Cedrus atlantica), Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, Isoeugenol, D&C Red No. 33, FD&C Blue No. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment