Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen Metallic Highlights Illuminating Mascara

When the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen line hit the shelves at Walmart I will admit, I was somewhat interested in what they had to offer. Everything in their line seemed new, and unique, and of course I wanted to try it. I was a makeup junkie back then, and eye makeup was my all time favorite.
When I came across an interesting looking bottle of Metallic Highlights Illuminating Mascara I wanted it. The bottle had a blend of silver and black. I guess the silver mixed in with the black would cause the metallic illuminating look. Or so I had imagined.
The mascara was only about $4.00 so I figured I was getting the deal of a lifetime. Usually mascara costs around $10.00 and sometimes more.
I got home and ripped open the packaging. The small plastic tube was a unique squared shape, as was the top. I twisted off the top and pulled out the brush. The mascara came out black, but shiny. Shiner than most mascaras I had ever seen. There however were no traces of silver at all. I dipped the brush in again and swished it around from side to side.
The reason was because I wanted a multi colored eyelash. I wanted some black lashes, and some silver ones, for a really weird yet pretty effect. When I removed the brush a second time, I could see some silver in certain areas on the brush, next I found a mirror and applied.
Things did not work out as I had originally thought. The black color went on fine, but with major shine, and the areas where I was expecting to see silver sort of just looked greasy. There was no real color change. I applied a second time with the same results, only my lashes looked even more greasy than before. I figured though that once the mascara dried the greasy shine would disappear.
Only as the lashes began to dry they began to clump together, in hard crusty rock like forms. I got out my eye lash tool to divide the lashes, but as I did the mascara would just crumble up and fall to the floor. It was pretty damn nasty.
I plopped the tube of mascara into my case of makeup gone wrong, and left it there for a few days. I went back to this case days later just to give the mascara one more go. I figured perhaps I had applied too much, and should have left it alone with just one coat. However when I went to open the tube I noticed that their were clumps of black goop holding the twist top on pretty well, so I scraped it away and pulled out the brush. However as I pulled it out, I realized that the mascara was no longer in a liquid state, it was more like clay. There was no way in hell I could apply clay to my eyes.
I ended up throwing the $4.00 piece of crap out.
This was not my last bad encounter with makeup from the Mary-Kate and Ashley line, their whole line of makeup is garbage.
It is my recommended opinion that you avoid spending any money on this mascara. It may look cool in the tube, but trust me, it's garbage you wouldn't even buy for your teen daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment