Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of LUSH -Demon in the Dark

When I think of Demons I think of that excellent show on The Discovery Channel A Haunting. I must say though, when I saw a soap called Demon in the Dark I imagined that it would smell bad. I never thought a demon could smell good. Lush is selling a handmade bar soap called Demon in the Dark, so of course I had to try it, because I love everything and anything supernatural.
The soap itself resembled demon skin, at least what I imagine what a demons skin would look like. Its green, with globs of white chunks in it, and is covered with black wax. I could also compare it to a fine green marble top kitchen or bathroom counter.
The black wax is wrapped at the top of the soap and is supposed to be peeled off, supposedly this black wax seals in the Demons scent. We shall see...
I got a free sample from Lush which consisted of about 3 inches long, and a half inch wide. Just enough soap for 2-3 uses. It was wrapped up in a clear plastic clear plastic wrap with a deli sticker from Lush holding it shut. The deli sticker usually has the name of the employee who made the soap, and the soaps expiration date. Because so many of Lush's products are made with fresh fruits and vegetables an expiration date will sometimes be on the soap.
My sample of Demon in the Dark was a soft glycerin mixed with cream to create a nice solid bar. It was probably the most solid bar I have ever gotten from Lush, but still it was soft enough to where I could easily slice the bar into pieces if I wanted to. It actually looked exactly like the picture I have included. Usually Lush soaps look nothing like the pictures Lush provides, but what you see is what you get.
SCENT:
I opened the seal and immediately got the scent of crest toothpaste in overload running up my nose. It was not disgusting, but I definitely did not know how well I wold like rubbing the smell of toothpaste on me. This scent was not minty, or herb like. It was straight up Crest toothpaste. I didn't know that demons smelled like toothpaste!
SHOWER:
I ran the water on me and began rubbing demon in the dark all over. The scent got 10 times stronger. It was a bit overwhelming, and honestly I was not enjoying using it. It made me feel dirty, and toothpaste is meant for my teeth, not my body.
The lather of Demon in the Dark was lame. I barely even got any suds from it. However I refused to let it melt down the drain. The scent may of been that of mouthwash and toothpaste, but I was determined to finish it up.
As the soap began to melt, I could feel small grains of some sort of grit scraping at my skin. It was not too scratchy, it was tolerable, but annoying nonetheless.
As I began scrubbing I could feel a cool tingling sensation all over my skin. It was nothing I have not experienced before though. Usually and soap or wash with mint as an ingredient will leave a cooling sensation.
I was confused by Lush's description. This soap was supposed to smell of apples with mint. I guess this sample piece didn't get any apples at all, because the only thing I could smell was toothpaste.
DRYING UP:
After drying up I could still smell the scent of spearmint gum all over me, but it was not as strong and overpowering as it was in the shower. Not only that but my skin felt tighter. I thought that it would dry out my skin, because usually anything that gives my skin a tightening sensation will dry me out. This demon didn't though, so it was okay.
I did feel clean afterward, and no residue was left behind on my skin, so this was a plus.
EXPENSIVE DEMON:
The soap itself is not cheap. It runs for $7.50 for a 3.5oz bar. If you order it from www.lush.com you can also add $8.20 for shipping. Uch!
HOW TO FIND A DEMON:
Like I said, if you must try Demon in the Dark you can order it at the Lush website I have posted above, or you can purchase it at any local Lush store. Check the Lush website for store locations.
HOW LUSH MAKES DEMONS:
Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Mint Infusion (Mentha piperita), Apple Juice, Sodium Stearate, Mint (Mentha piperita), Spearmint Oil (Mentha viridis), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, Perfume, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), FD&C Blue No. 1
LUSH ISSUES:
Many of Lush soaps are cut from a huge handmade block of soap. This is why sometimes you will get a bar that looks pink in one order, and blue in another. You never know what your going to get when you order online at Lush.com. Not only that but you also may get a slightly different scent with your second order of the same scent. A weak scented bar in one order, and a strong scented one in the next. Soaps vary even if you are ordering the same one over and over again. I myself though, enjoy the mystery with each order.
OVERALL:
Demon in the Dark is far too expensive for what it does; which isn't very much. The scent is too strong with the overpowering toothpaste smell, and it's really nothing a girl would like too much. It's more of a masculine scent, that us chicks should just avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment