Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of LUSH - Aquamarina Facial Cleanser

With my last Lush order they were kind enough to add in 2 free samples for me to try out. They do this in hopes that I will order the funk they packed in as a sample if I like it enough. In my last order I got 2 very strange products I would never have bought on my own. Aromaco which is a deodorant bar, and Aquamarina which is a facial cleanser. I was more than happy to try them both out, but before I cover Aromaco in a later review, I wanted to fully discuss Aquamarina.
WHAT IS IT?
Aquamarina is probably the strangest concept when it comes to facial cleanser, for one it does not come in a jar, nor does it resemble any cleanser I have ever used before, as a matter of fact the picture Lush uses on the site reminds me of a disgusting sushi roll. The cream cleanser is wrapped and rolled in a blanket of seaweed. Aquamarnia also has a shelf life of only 3 weeks, so after 3 weeks you MUST throw it out, or you could break out. Lush uses fresh ingredients, and when the word fresh is used when it comes to Lush products, it means that spoiling is part of the deal.
My sample came in a sealed dixie cup container, with the usual Lush deli sticker on it. Now what bothered me the most was the fact that Lush did not add an expiration date! How am I supposed to know when this particular sample was made? And how am I supposed to know when to throw it out after 3 weeks if I don't have the 'made on' date, or an expiration date? For all I knew this could have already been expired seeing how it took 2 weeks to get to my door!
Anyhow, I popped off the top and the scent of fish hit me immediately. It wasn't a nasty rotten fish scent, but the smell of something fishy was definitely present. I imagined it was the chunks of seaweed that were wrapped up in the cream. The sample looked nothing like the picture Lush included, but the salmon colored cream was almost exact, only a little lighter. Rumor has it that you will only get an actual 'roll' if you buy it in the store. My sample was pretty much just scooped from and plopped into the cup, with the salmon cream all piled up in one corner of the container, and shards of seaweed on the other. I didn't mind though, it's still all the same either way.
I decided to not over think it, and use it anyway. However I was confused about how to use it. The cream was a bit thick and sort of dried out, so I wet my face first and then began rubbing the cream onto my face, which made it slide around easily without any issues. The fishy smell was extremely obvious, and I could also smell a subtle scent of something citrusy. Fish and oranges. Yay! My favorite combination. Ugh!
The seaweed was a bit slimy and hard to scoop out, honestly though I didn't want it on my face, it looked like seaweed taken from a dirty swamp, and I was in no rush to place these miniature pieces of seaweed, that looked like leeches, on my face.
I scrubbed the cream into my face for a good minute and then rinsed off, and I can report that, yes, the result were immediate. My skin felt softer the very moment I dried off. However after a good hour or so, the moisturizing soft feeling vanished. Again this is one of Lush's temporary products, as in it works temporarily. Sigh!
With long term use of Aquamarina you should get softer skin, and the reduction of pores. I have used it for about a week, and I can say that my skin was softer overall, but only 'after' using it, and my pores were still very present, and it did not subside acne breakouts.
I will say I don't mind Aquamarnia's scent, it is subtle enough as to where you're not gagging on fish guts. But I will also say that long term use of a facial moisturizer with a nice scent can give me the same results. Seeing how Aquamarina is a bit pricey $7.95 for just 3.5oz of product I probably won't buy it on my own. Not only that if this gunk expires in 3 weeks, there is no way I would be able to get through the entire container before it spoiled.
WHERE TO BUY IT?
You can buy Aquamarina at www.lush.com, or you can pick it up at any local Lush store. If you get it from the store, make sure you ask the employee when the product was made. You don't want to bring something home that was made 2 weeks ago, and now only has a 1 week shelf life. That'd be a waste.
HOW TO MAKE SWAMP LEECH FACIAL CLEANSER:
Glycerin, Calamine Powder, Kaolin, Irish Moss Infusion (Chondrus crispus), Aloe Vera Gel (Aloe barbadensis), Sea Salt (Sodium Chloride), Nori Seaweed (Fucus vesiculosus), Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus dulcis), Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Carrageenan, Perfume
OVERALL:
Aquamarina does soften skin, the smell is not very pleasing, and you can get the same results from a cheaper facial lotion with a nice scent. For me Aquamarina is a wasteful bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment